Thursday, October 28, 2010

Football "punch"

This week in football and in physics i learned how to be a better football player.  Coach Cropsey always tells us to punch our opponents hard so that they will fall down.  All season I've been trying to make my punches harder and this past week i have learned how to in physics.  i took this knowledge with me to the football field at practice and it worked.  At practice my coach was asking me if i have been lifting more, but i just told him that i understand how to punch because of physics.  He asked me what i was talking about so i explained what we learned about impulse and momentum.  I told him that there was no way i could apply more force unless i magically got stronger overnight.  So the way i accomplished this almost impossible feat was by using physics.  we learned that J=Ft=delta p=mvf-mvi.  the part that i used in football was the J=Ft.  By applying the same force over more time i could increase my momentum and also my impulse on the opponent.  This will cause them to experience a greater force and will give me a better chances of winning the "battle" on the field.  My coach was so amazed at this that he applauded me and said "keep up the good work." i was very proud and i look forward to using this new technique out on the field during our upcoming homecoming game.

No comments:

Post a Comment